Skip to main content

Shaving Cream for Sensitive Skin

Hi y'all :) Hope the week is treating everyone well so far! Today, I decided to switch it up a little with a shaving cream; natural and homemade. I know many of the ladies due to time limitations may forget to make an appointment to get their legs waxed, I know it happens :( And of course you'd have to shave before you put on those shorts or dress. Personally, for me my skin, legs always has a bad reaction to hair removal creams and gets irritated a lot with shaving. I'm sharing a simple ready that helps me when I need to emergency shave and couldn't make it to the salon to wax! Guys.. you can also try this recipe!!

DIY Shaving Cream for Sensitive Skin


The top 3 toxic chemicals found in shaving cream include:
Artificial fragrances: Artificial fragrances (also known as parfum) are synthetic concoctions of compounds designed to mimic natural scents. Some people are lucky enough to be allergic to parfum, so they stop using them altogether, but others who keep using products containing artificial fragrances are exposed to carcinogenic substances and symptoms such as thyroid dysfunction, obesity and insulin resistance as a result hormone disruption.

Pthalates: Pthalates are often used in cosmetic products as a plasticizer to maintain the softness and consistency of the product and prevent cracking but they come with a whole slew of adverse effects including hormone disruption, metabolic disruption and decrease in immune function.

TriethanolamineTriethanolamine is used as a cheap emulsifier and surfactant in shaving creams but is actually a known skin and respiratory irritant and is linked to various cancers such as prostrate, bladder and liver cancers.
Is your shaving cream worth it? I don’t think so! It’s easier to toss your store-bought shaving cream in the trash and make a simple one at home using natural, toxin-free ingredients!
By: BeautyMunsta 

The following recipe is a simple routine I use, because I've got an Aloe Vera Plant at home and if you're from the Caribbean, every household has coconut oil !! 

Coconut Oil Shaving Cream

  • 1/4 cup aloe vera (Click here for skin benefits)
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil (Click here for skin benefits)
  • 4-6 drops essential oil (peppermint, tea tree, lavender or a combination)
1. Melt the coconut oil and combine with other ingredients.

2. Stir together and store in a plastic container. 

3.Apply a thin layer to skin and let sit a couple of minutes before shaving. The aloe will soften hair while the coconut oil moisturizes skin, helping to prevent razor burn and skin irritation. 

4. Add the essential oil of your preference. Peppermint will give a cooling sensation, lavender is soothing and tea tree is a good antiseptic if you cut yourself. I personally like tea tree oil. 

5. If coconut oil hardens or separates between uses, put the container under the shower stream before shaving to warm it up.
Modified Recipe By: Stephanie Gerber

If you have some time on your hands on a Sunday evening, try out the following recipe out! :) 

DIY Whipped Shaving Cream

What you will need:
  • 1/2 cup of coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup of shea butter (Click here for more info)
  • 2 tbsp of aloe vera gel
  • 15 drops of lavender essential oil (Optional - add to your preference) 

Directions

1. Get your high speed blender and throw in the coconut oil, shea butter (or cocoa butter), olive oil and aloe vera gel.

2. Blend away for about 2 minutes or as long as it takes to get a creamy, frothy, white and well-combined mixture.

3. Now pour your blended cream into a clean container and drop in the lavender essential oil. Mix it in thoroughly using a glass rod or the back of a spatula. You don’t want to contaminate your food utensils with essential oils because essential oils are highly potent and should not be ingested.

4. Done! Your all-natural shaving cream is ready for use! Store it in a mason jar. Lightly coat your hairy bits in this cream and shave away!
By: BeautyMunsta

Hope it works for you all !! :) Let me know if it worked, leave me a comment below!

Comments

  1. Thank you for posting, will be trying soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! :) Feel free to comment your suggestions! :))

      Delete
  2. I really needed this! I have sensitive skin and avoided using such products but I will have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Give it a try and let me know if it worked =)

      Delete
  3. shaving the beard is a breeze however the bumps that follow are a challenge. Ill try your remedy and see how thing turn out. Bison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kenwyn! Both recipes include aloe vera; aloe vera is a traditional remedy for soothing irritated skin. However, I'll recommend adding in either tea tree oil or witch hazel in the recipes above for the razor bumps. Or, you can apply either oils after shaving. Witch hazel is a natural antiseptic that helps reduce inflammation in the skin, you can also apply this directly to the razor bumps. Tea tree oil is a natural anti-bacterial agent, but this may be strong so I suggest you dilute with a little water before applying to the skin. Hope this helps you with the razor bumps! :)

      Delete
  4. Usually shaving my legs leaves me with bumps. Can't wait to try this out next time to see how it works. I already know coconut oil works wonders for my skin so this should go well ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello :) Yes try it out and let me know. For the razor bumps, I recommend Tea Tree Oil or Witch hazel which you can apply after shaving, be sure to dilute the tea tree oil though.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coffee Body Scrub

Hi Sweets! Guess what I got for y'all today to try?! Yess it's a body scrub and one many are aware off!  Coffee Body Scrub! Why Coffee? Well; Cellulite enemy #1 is caffeine, which tightens and provides antioxidants to the skin when applied topically. When applied religiously, it has been shown to reduce the appearance of cellulite, especially over time. Here, we combine coffee grounds with moisturizing, skin-soothing coconut oil and a bit of sea salt for an extra exfoliating kick. By massaging this trifecta onto any problem area, you'll stimulate blood flow resulting in smoother, firmer skin.  For more benefits of Coffee, click  here  :) What you will need:  1 c coffee grounds 6 tbsp coconut oil 3 tbsp sea salt or sugar empty jar dry brush (optional)   Directions : Step 1: Measure out the dry ingredients and combine in a large measuring cup or bowl. Step 2: Melt the coconut oil in the microwave if solid, and add to

Hair Mask for Oily Hair

Hi babes! Sooo finally I'm posting a Hair Mask! Aloe Vera & Lemon Hair Mask So, I have not tried this Hair Mask that I'm about to post, I'm actually going to try this weekend when I have some spare time. I personally chose Oily Hair, well because it's a problem I currently have. As I'm growing and becoming older I've realized that my hair gets oily pretty quick without me having put anything in it !! It's very annoying as you can imagine, like I legit have to wash my hair on the same day I'm going out not even the night before! I did some research and I found a mask with two ingredients that I presently have at home which are aloe vera and lemon juice! Let's see how it goes! Aloe vera and lemon juice are both packed with nutrients that help control excess oil in the hair, while nourishing it at the same time. Also, this hair mask can also help combat dandruff, while providing shine and luster to your locks. Directions: